You’ve seen me cry about E3. You’ve seen me moan about Prometheus. You’ve endured my constant peddling of an over-the-top love comedy without complaint. And now, finally, the Kingdom Hearts Retrospective returns with a vengeance -- a vengeance so vengeful, you’ll want to avenge the vengeance. Vengefully.
I know I’ve made this fairly clear already, but just in case anyone needs to hear it directly, I’ll say it now. Not only do I like Kingdom Hearts 1, but I prefer it over its mechanically-superior sequel Kingdom Hearts 2. Why? Because KH1has a better story. Not the most complex story, mind, and likely not the best story ever told in a video game -- but for what it was worth, it succeeded. Keeping in line with its “simple and clean” veneer, it satisfied from start to finish.
But in spite of that “simple and clean” veneer, it offered its fair share of depth and subtleties. It was -- and is -- a self-contained story with plenty of themes to explore, unburdened by the need to play its cards close to the chest for sequels. Whatever the case, it’s certainly a story that leaves you feeling good, and without any complexities weighing you down. Makes me wonder what happened when the sequel came around -- seriously, what the hell happened, Squeenix? -- but we’ll get there when we get there.
For now, let’s do something that’s been long overdue. Let’s talk about Kingdom Hearts 1’s story.
Read more »


0 Comments